- Business hours
- Business location and directions
- Website link
- Contact information
- What the business does (services)
- Customer reviews
Google My Business links google maps with google search and provides insights with analytics for your listing. Another key feature is the ability for customers to leave reviews and the owner of the company to respond to reviews. The benefit of this service is a central location to manage your business’ information and is a great starting place to enhance your local SEO efforts.
The importance of being listed in local search results cannot be overstated and according to GO-Globe:
- 50% of local mobile searches are looking for business information
- 71% of people look up and confirm the location of a business before going to it for the first time
- 1 in 3 smartphone searches were made right before a store visit
- 76% of local searches result in a phone call
If your serious about your business and providing a user-friendly experience to current and potential customers, Google My Business is a must.
Let’s Dive into how to set up your Google My Business account.
Step 1: Sign-up for your free account
- Enter google.com/business in your browser and click “Start Now” button on the top right corner
- Sign-in with your Gmail address
- Enter the name of your business
- Enter your business location information
Step 2: Choose your business type
You can select a box that reads “I deliver goods and services to my customers” and if selected another box will appear giving you the option to hide your address in the business listing.
- This makes sense if your business does not have a physical storefront and is service based and will give you the option to put in your business’ service area, but this choice is up to you (you can always change this later if you change your mind)
- If you chose the “I deliver goods and services to my customers” option, you will be asked to enter the service area distance you operate in or cities you operate in.
- If you did not select the first box, the next step will be to enter your business category
- Enter your business phone # and website URL (if you have one) or select I don’t need a website if you don’t yet have one.
- Next step is to click Finish
Google will send a verification code (by snail mail unfortunately) to the address you entered earlier, which usually takes a couple weeks. Don’t forget to enter that code when you receive it, as it is only valid for a limited time!
Step 3: Fill in missing information about your business
On the left side of the account dashboard is a menu of different sections for your business account such as Insights, Info, reviews, photos etc. Select the “Info tab” and fill in the missing information:
- Business hours
- Edit location information
- Edit contact information
- You can add specific services and prices for those services (optional)
- Add a business description
- Edit and/or add multiple business categories for your business if applicable
Take the time to fill out all relevant information about your business, the more you fill out the better the chance of showing up in local search results.
Step 4: Add Photos
You can (and should) add your company logo and a cover photo to your business profile. If you have other pictures related to your company you can add those as well, an example would be completed projects or product pictures, exterior photos and team members.
Congratulations, you’re all set up with your Google My Business account. Don’t forget to enter the code from the postcard that Google will send you, this will finish the verification process allowing you to respond to customer reviews and edit all areas of your listing. If you would like some help setting up your Google My Business account we would be happy to help, Book A Call with us today and lets discuss how we can help grow your local business.